
This is a big year for us! Isaac is starting kindergarten and Eric is starting pre-school. I really can't believe it. I wanted to do something special to mark this big event and to maybe start a new family tradition. So, I decided to break out the China we got for our wedding (11 years ago) that I have NEVER used, played soft dinner music, got fresh cut flowers, lighted candles, chilled sparkling cider, folded cloth napkins, sliced lemons to decorate water glasses, used a table cloth and made
special crowns for the boys to wear. I wanted it to be something they hopefully would remember and something they would look forward to every start of a new school year.

Isaac loves shrimp and I don't really care for it so I have never cooked it before. I knew if I made it at home he would think this was really cool. So I searched through my cook books until I found a recipe called Stir-Fried Shrimp and Broccoli. It was very easy to make and I even added chicken to it so I could eat it. Everyone liked it.

Eric had fun sucking up the long noodles. I didn't cut his up into tiny pieces like I usually do so he would feel like he was "big".

The recipe can be found in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. You know the one. The red and white checkered one that we all receive at some point in our married lives. That's the one!

The cake was really good! I got that recipe from one of my favorite dessert cook books called The Cake Mix Doctor. Everything is always yummy and easy from that book. The cake I made for this dinner was the Chocolate Marble Cake with Shiny Chocolate Glaze. I served it with vanilla ice cream and it was a hit.

I also made a toss salad with pine nuts - which Eric loves, actually he really just loves the pine nuts and eats the green stuff just so he can have more nuts.
3 comments:
It was a very special night. I know that I will remember their first day of school
You finally posted! The dinner looks like it all came out very nice. I like this as a back to school tradition.
Wow! I thought about doing something similar once, but it never got farther than that. You did it big. Way to go Nicole.
Post a Comment