Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Acini de Pepe Salad or Frog Eye Salad

Here is the recipe I have been getting asked for. My friend Erin gave it to me and I think she got it from someone at a party she went to. This recipe says it serves 25 people but I think it is much more than that. Every time we have a big party I make this and we always have left overs.

Acini de Pepe or Frog Eye Salad

1 package acini de pepe pasta (after cooking rinse to keep from sticking)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cans 20 oz. each crushed pineapple (keep juice for sauce)
1 tablespoon oil
2 cans 11 oz. each mandarin oranges drained
1 small package marshmallows
2 large containers cool whip (I don't think I use this much cool whip. I think I use one large container or two small ~ Sorry I can't remember. When you are mixing up the salad just eye ball it!)

Sauce
Combine flour, eggs, salt, sugar, pineapple juice and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until thick stirring often with a whisk. Set aside.

Cook pasta 10 minutes or until done. Add Oil while cooking.

Drain and rinse pasta. Stir in sauce.

Refrigerate 3 hours.

Add remaining ingredients.

Keeps well. I usually make this the night before a party and it is very good.

No comments: