Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cooking Day

Since this is the day before Thanksgiving I was busy cooking up a storm. I am in charge of making sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls, and this year I am trying out a new recipe my neighbor Mary gave me called Chile Corn Casserole. I also have to roast a 20 pound turkey because our family is getting really big. (My Mom will also make a 20 pound turkey!) Here are the recipe I have been using for years:

Sweet Potatoes
5 medium sweet potatoes baked, skinned and mashed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbls. cream (whipping cream)
~Mix the above ingredients together and spread into a 9X13 casserole dish
Topping
1/4 cup soft butter
3Tbls. flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
~Mix to a coarse meal and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 min.
*These can be made the day before and baked on Thanksgiving day.


Rolls(These can be sweet rolls or any shaped roll or braid)
In a large bowl combine:
2 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (3/4c. if making sweet rolls)
2 Tbls. yeast - sprinkle the yeast on top of the sugar and water
~Let this stand for 5-10 minutes
Add:
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup totally melted butter or margarine
4 eggs
4 cups white flour
Use electric mixer and mix well.
Add:
3 more cups white flour - mix until very smooth
(Might need 1/2 cup more this is a sticky dough so don't over due it. You will also use a lot of flour for shaping the dough because it is so sticky.)
~Put dough in a very large bowl and cover. Place in refrigerator to rise over night or at least 5-6 hours. Can leave in fridge for 2 weeks.
~Shape as desired and let rise on a greased (I don't grease, I use parchment paper) baking sheet for about 30 minutes or until doubled.
~Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (I have to bake for mine for 30 minutes because of the high altitude)
Makes 3 dozen rolls


Chile Corn Casserole
2 cans cream style corn
2 eggs
1/4 cup corn meal
2 cups grated cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt
6 table spoons wesson oil
1 small can green chile
~Mix all together, save some cheese to sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.


Cranberry Sauce
Bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil. Add 12 ounces fresh cranberries and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Bring to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments: