Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween Country Style


Here are my parents with Isaac and Eric the night before Halloween carving one of six pumpkins! We had a great time this year! We decided to stay home and try Trick-or-Treating in our neighborhood instead of going to my sister's house in Albuquerque. We didn't think Isaac would be able to Trick-or-Treat very well around our house because the houses are so far apart so, I asked one of our neighbors if we could hook up their flatbed to the back of their truck and take the kids that way. We decorated the flatbed with Halloween lights and put bales of hay on it. It was so much fun! We had about 18 kids loaded up and ready to go! Isaac had such a great time getting on and off the flatbed and running up to the houses. I thought he would get tired but he didn't. We did this for almost three hours! It was getting cold towards the end and the wind was blowing a little. Some of the kids got tired and had their parents take them home. All in all I think it went really well and can't wait until next year!

In other news:
Mike and I bought some flag stone for our front walk way and started to install it today. I think we will need a little more flag stone to complete the project but it looks really nice so far. Hopefully this will cut down on our mud situation this year. Last year with all the snow we had a muddy mess!
I also bought the cookbook Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfeld's wife) and have been pleasantly surprised. The basic idea of the book is to eat better and include more fruit and veggies without your kids knowing you are doing this. For example, yesterday I made brownies with carrots and spinach in them! Yes, I know it sounds strange but Isaac and his friends ate them all and loved them! Tonight I made tacos with butternut squash in them and had my parents over and everyone ate them up. Right now I have sweet potatoes in the oven so I can make hot cocoa with them tomorrow. Go figure. I love the idea and can't wait to try more of the recipes.

No comments: