Thursday, July 12, 2007

What to do?

Shadow - picture taken 2 weeks ago

I spent the morning at target looking for gifts on a bridal registry. Sometimes those things are great and other times you can't find anything on them. I will be going to bridal showers #2 and #3 Saturday and needed to get some useful stuff for the brides to be. I had to hurry because I had to take our faithful dog Shadow to the vet. She has not been acting herself and has not been wanting to eat like she used to. The vet decided to test her lymph nods which were fine and then did an x-ray of her tummy. She has so much extra fluid in her tummy the vet could not see her organs very well so decided we needed to get an ultra sound. When she came back from that the news was not good. My dear Shadow has a tumor in her tummy the size of a large orange. The vet wants to do surgery right away. I told her I was going to have to go home and talk it over with Mike. (I had already spent a small fortune there having all the tests done.) The surgery will be very expensive and it will only be exploratory. Keep in mind Shadow is 15 years old. My brother in law looked up life expectancy for a miniature schnauzer and found that it was 12-15 years. So given that information we feel we should just get her as comfortable as possible and just watch her. She is such a big part of our family. I knew this day was coming I just never wanted it to. She is on pain medication, heart medication and pepcid to help with her upset tummy. The pain medication actually will help with the tumor because besides getting rid of pain it also helps to shrink tumors. She still has a great personality and was so happy to be home from the vet's office she was trying to play with Molly. It is so sad that dogs don't live longer.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Shadow is a great family member. I know you guys will make the best decisions for her.

barbaramc said...

Shadow has had a great life and you all have given her the best care, now it is time to make the hardest decision. Remember surgery is hard on them too.